Interested in becoming a Secondary School Teacher?
- Our inspirational Provider Led, School Based programme is built on a long history of successful school based initial teacher training. The majority of our schools are in Loughborough and the surrounding villages but we also have close links to other Leicestershire and Derbyshire Schools.
- We work alongside the University of Derby to enable trainees to achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) with 60 credits towards a Master’s degree too.
- We work in partnership with a range of local schools, to provide high quality placements.
- Our trainees work alongside experienced and inspirational teachers, to acquire a wealth of practical experience in the classroom.
Why choose our course?
- The Loughborough Learning Alliance has over 15 years experience in training teachers.
- We have a fantastic track record of our trainees making excellent progress and achieving highly in their final assessments.
- Our trainees access diverse teaching practices in KS3-5, giving you a range of varied opportunities.
- Practical teaching experience lies at the heart of all of our courses. High-quality placements in different educational settings which build skills in the classroom, supported by expert, subject specific mentors.
- We will support you every step of the way, with your own personal mentor and academic support from our partner University of Derby.
What will the training be like?
- Training lasts for one academic year starting at the end of August.
- We organise 2 contrasting school placements to give you a range of experience over the year. These can be in mainstream or special settings.
- You will be based for 4 days per week in your placement school, and the other day is spent at either St Botolph’s C of E Primary School doing Hub Sessions or the University of Derby undertaking core training.
- On average, The Hub Sessions are led by experienced and specialist leaders, including external facilitators, Headteachers, Specialist Leaders of Education and successful teachers. During these sessions, you’ll learn about various topics such as:
- Classroom behaviour management,
- Pupil Premium
- Assessment for Learning
- Making learning purposeful
- Pastoral care
- The role of the form tutor
- Adaptive teaching and many more…
- During the year you will also be supported in developing your subject knowledge.
- While on the University of Derby days, you will be working towards your PGCE and QTS with lectures, seminars and tutorials taking place.
- There is also the opportunity to complete one Enhancement Placement. If you’ve not spent time in a SEND setting, you will spend some time at Ashmount School, a Special School for children from ages 4 to 19.
Subjects we offer: Secondary Partnership Schools: Art and Design
Design and Technology
Modern Foreign Languages
Castle Donington College
De Lisle College
Loughborough High School
Maplewell Hall School
Woodbrook Vale School
Wreake Valley Academy
What are the entry requirements?
- Applicants for all subjects should normally have a 2:2 or above. This should ideally be in a subject closely related to the subject specialism you wish to pursue. It may be possible to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course if needed/appropriate.
- GCSE Grade C (or equivalent) in Mathematics and English. If you’ve not got the grades, we accept equivalency tests taken through www.equivalencytesting.com.
- Although not essential, we do recommend some recent experience of working/volunteering within a school, as this will help you to reflect on the profession and give you an understanding of the requirements needed to be an effective teacher.
How can I find out more?
- To search for our course and to find out more, visit:: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-teacher-training
- Formal applications need to be made via Apply for Teacher Training https://www.apply-for-teacher-training.service.gov.uk/candidate/account
- Once registered select Ashmount School as the lead school to apply for this Provider Led, School Based programme with the LLA.
- Successful candidates are invited to interview, more information regarding the interview process will be provided.
- For an informal chat or to find out a bit more, please contact us and we will be more than happy to help.
Here is what our past Beginning Teachers say about us….
- “I thoroughly enjoyed my time completing my School Direct course with Loughborough Learning Alliance. It was well planned and the people involved were very supportive and organised. Truly the best course and provider to get into teaching”.
- “A rewarding & inspiring year that taught me so much and influenced the teacher I am today. I made friends for life and it was the best thing I ever did.”
- “I’m so glad I picked the School Direct route. Not only did we get more time/ experience in schools compared to other routes, I had a network of people at LLA that genuinely supported me throughout. I made lifelong friends in my cohort too. Thanks for giving us the best introduction into teaching and for making our “LLA Wednesdays” so much fun!”
- ” Thoroughly enjoyed my course. The course has been designed exceptionally well and makes training days enjoyable. You will always find someone to talk to as great support available throughout. Many thanks LLA and team for all your support, guidance.”